This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
25 meal recipe ideas based on the Mediterranean diet. Plan your menu with delicious recipes full of leafy greens, vegetables, beans, whole grains and pasta. Eat well, live well!
Let’s talk about the Mediterranean Diet — it’s been ranked as number one as an overall healthy way to eat, and for good reason.
Usually you see the the word “diet” and gear yourself up for deprivation — am I right?
I wish it weren’t so. For me the Mediterranean diet is all about eating for pleasure and well being. It’s probably my favorite way to eat, and my Mediterranean diet recipes definitely skew in that direction.
In other words, my easy Mediterranean diet recipes deliver vibrant flavor. These meals offer more of a lifestyle approach to food that is all about pleasure, and have been developed without an overall obsession with weight loss or health.
- Mediterranean Salad recipes
- Mediterranean Soup recipes
- Mediterranean Seafood recipes
- Mediterranean Chicken recipes
- Mediterranean Vegetarian recipes
- Mediterranean Pasta recipes
Yes, it’s also good for you. But the reason I love eating this way it really tastes good.
Plus that means I enjoy pasta on a regular basis!
Many of the recipes I create here on Familystyle Food as well as in my cookbook approach cooking in the Mediterranean spirit. I grew up in Italian-American family with a great appreciation for food, which absolutely influenced my appetites.
What is the Mediterranean diet?
The soul of Mediterranean food comes from countries such as Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, North Africa and Turkey.
Mediterranean-style meals have a heathy balance of protein and carbs, so plan on:
- Plants: Lot of vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains
- Generous lashings of olive oil
- Seafood and shellfish of all kinds
- Cheese and dairy (in smaller amounts)
- Meats and poultry i(n smaller amounts)
- Wine: Yes, vino! In moderation, with meals
Benefits for health
Filling your plate with the foods I listed means you’ll be eating an abundance of antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids (from seafood and greens) and a minimal amount of saturated fats.
There’s no better way to keep your heart and soul in top shape! Scroll through this list of delicious dishes and plan your Mediterranean menu.
25 Mediterranean Menu Recipes
** Friendly reminder: I am a recipe developer, not a dietician. I’m sharing my top Mediterranean-inspired recipes but if you have specific goals be sure to consult with your health professional.
Mediterranean salad recipes
Simple Mediterranean salads composed of leafy greens, aromatic herbs and whole grains and dressed with delicious olive oil. Meal prep these salads for the week or serve alongside pasta, seafood or chicken.
- ISRAELI COUSCOUS SALAD
- MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD
- TUSCAN KALE SALAD WITH ROASTED CHICKPEAS
- TAHINI CAESAR SALAD WITH OLIVE OIL BREADCRUMBS
Mediterranean Soup Recipes
Mediterranean-style soups are full of vegetables, beans and tasty broth. They tend to be the most delicious comfort food dishes ever!
- CHORIZO CHICKPEA STEW WITH GREENS
- ITALIAN MINESTRONE VEGETABLE SOUP
- PRESSURE COOKER PASTA FAGIOLI WITH KALE
- PAPPA AL POMODORO
Mediterranean Seafood Recipes
Fish are the backbone of Mediterranean cuisine. We love them all, including shellfish like shrimp, clams, mussels, and crab as well as flaky and firm fish like cod, halibut, sea bass, tuna and swordfish.
- TOMATO BASIL SHRIMP WITH CREAMY POLENTA
- GARLIC BUTTER SHRIMP PASTA
- PARCHMENT BAKED COD WITH FENNEL AND TOMATOES
- CALAMARI WITH PASTA AND TOMATOES
Mediterranean Chicken Recipes
Chicken is easygoing, perfect to pair with zesty Mediterranean marinades and bold seasonings — it goes with all the lemon, spices and seasonings we love!
- MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN KABOBS WITH TAHINI SAUCE
- GREEK LEMON CHICKEN AND POTATOES
- LEMON ZA’ATAR CHICKEN
- MOROCCAN SHEET PAN ORANGE CHICKEN
Mediterranean Vegetarian Recipes
Do you want to eat more vegetables or are you following a plant-based diet? These dishes are flavor-packed, full of colorful bell peppers, tomatoes, leafy greens, mushrooms, eggplant and more:
- PARMESAN POLENTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
- CHEESY BAKED STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
- EASY BAKED RATATOUILLE
- MUSHROOM RAGU WITH POLENTA
Mediterranean Pasta Recipes
Pasta really is the perfect way to enjoy a balanced meal in one bowl — it could be my favorite thing to eat. These recipes feature pasta sauced with vibrant, hearty vegetables you’ll crave over and over.
- ROASTED VEGETABLE LASAGNA
- MUSHROOM BOLOGNESE PASTA
- PASTA ALLA NORMA (SPICY EGGPLANT PASTA)
- BUCATINI WITH SICILIAN ALMOND PESTO
- BURST CHERRY TOMATO PASTA WITH RICOTTA
25 Mediterranean Diet Recipes, Including Moroccan Orange Sheet Pan Chicken
- 2 pounds (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound (450 g) peeled carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 navel orange or 2 small tangerines, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 3 green onions, white and green parts sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
- 1 2-inch knob ginger, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ – 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- ½ cup (8 g) fresh cilantro, mint or parsley leaves
- Green sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 (230C) degrees.
- Arrange the chicken on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the red onion, carrots, orange, green onions, garlic, dates and ginger to the chicken. Pour over the olive oil and sprinkle everything with the cumin, coriander, salt, and chili.
- Toss well with your hands so that all the ingredients are evenly coated with the oil and spices (go ahead and use tongs if you don’t want to touch the raw chicken). Space the chicken and vegetables so they are in a flat, even layer.
- Roast 22-25 minutes. The orange should be charred in spots, the carrots tender and the chicken nicely golden brown and cooked through.
- Squeeze the orange wedges with tongs, or press on them with the back of a spoon to release their juices. Sprinkle the cilantro over and serve.
Karen’s Notes and Tips
chicken and seasonings in a heavy-duty storage bag. Let it marinate
while you’re at work or out of the house. Preheat oven about 45 minutes before ready to serve, and arrange everything in one layer on a sheet pan.
The Family Style Cookbook is here!
Featuring 60 all-new recipes and tips, plus a photograph of every dish. This beautiful book will be your guide to cooking DELICIOUS dishes for sharing!
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food! Read more about me here.