25 meal recipe ideas based on the Mediterranean diet. Plan your menu with delicious recipes full of leafy greens, vegetables, beans, whole grains and pasta. Eat well, live well!
Let’s talk about the Mediterranean Diet — it’s been ranked as number one as an overall healthy way to eat, and for good reason.
Usually you see the the word “diet” and gear yourself up for deprivation — am I right?
I wish it weren’t so. For me the Mediterranean diet is all about eating for pleasure and well being. It’s probably my favorite way to eat, and my recipes definitely skew in that direction.
In other words, the Mediterranean meals more of a lifestyle and an approach to food, rather than an obsession with weight loss or health.
- Mediterranean Salad recipes
- Mediterranean Soup recipes
- Mediterranean Seafood recipes
- Mediterranean Chicken recipes
- Mediterranean Vegetarian recipes
- Mediterranean Pasta recipes
Yes, it’s also good for you. But the reason I love eating this way it really tastes good.
Plus that means I enjoy pasta on a regular basis!
Many of the recipes I create here on Familystyle Food approach cooking in the Mediterranean spirit. I grew up in Italian-American family with a great appreciation for food, which absolutely influenced my appetites.
What is the Mediterranean diet
Mediterranean-style meals have a heathy balance of protein and carbs, so plan on:
- Plants: Lot of vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains
- Generous lashings of olive oil
- Seafood and shellfish of all kinds
- Cheese and dairy (in smaller amounts)
- Meats and poultry i(n smaller amounts)
- Wine: Yes, vino! In moderation, with meals
The soul of Mediterranean food comes from countries such as Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, North Africa and Turkey.
Benefits for health
Filling your plate with the foods I listed means you’ll be eating an abundance of antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids (from seafood and greens) and a minimal amount of saturated fats.
There’s no better way to keep your heart and soul in top shape! Scroll through this list of delicious dishes and plan your Mediterranean menu.
25 Mediterranean Menu Recipes
** Friendly reminder: I am a recipe developer, not a dietician. I’m sharing my top Mediterranean-inspired recipes but if you have specific goals be sure to consult with your health professional.
Mediterranean salad recipes
Simple Mediterranean salads composed of leafy greens, aromatic herbs and whole grains and dressed with delicious olive oil. Meal prep these salads for the week or serve alongside pasta, seafood or chicken.
- ISRAELI COUSCOUS SALAD
- MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD
- TUSCAN KALE SALAD WITH ROASTED CHICKPEAS
- TAHINI CAESAR SALAD WITH OLIVE OIL BREADCRUMBS
Mediterranean Soup Recipes
Mediterranean-style soups are full of vegetables, beans and tasty broth. They tend to be the most delicious comfort food dishes ever!
- CHORIZO CHICKPEA STEW WITH GREENS
- ITALIAN MINESTRONE VEGETABLE SOUP
- PRESSURE COOKER PASTA FAGIOLI WITH KALE
- PAPPA AL POMODORO
Mediterranean Seafood Recipes
Fish are the backbone of Mediterranean cuisine. We love them all, including shellfish like shrimp, clams, mussels, and crab as well as flaky and firm fish like cod, halibut, sea bass, tuna and swordfish.
- TOMATO BASIL SHRIMP WITH CREAMY POLENTA
- GARLIC BUTTER SHRIMP PASTA
- PARCHMENT BAKED COD WITH FENNEL AND TOMATOES
- CALAMARI WITH PASTA AND TOMATOES
Mediterranean Chicken Recipes
Chicken is easygoing, perfect to pair with zesty Mediterranean marinades and bold seasonings — it goes with all the lemon, spices and seasonings we love!
- MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN KABOBS WITH TAHINI SAUCE
- GREEK LEMON CHICKEN AND POTATOES
- LEMON ZA’ATAR CHICKEN
- MOROCCAN SHEET PAN ORANGE CHICKEN
Mediterranean Vegetarian Recipes
Do you want to eat more vegetables or are you following a plant-based diet? These dishes are flavor-packed, full of colorful bell peppers, tomatoes, leafy greens, mushrooms, eggplant and more:
- PARMESAN POLENTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
- CHEESY BAKED STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
- EASY BAKED RATATOUILLE
- MUSHROOM RAGU WITH POLENTA
Mediterranean Pasta Recipes
Pasta really is the perfect way to enjoy a balanced meal in one bowl — it could be my favorite thing to eat. These recipes feature pasta sauced with vibrant, hearty vegetables you’ll crave over and over.
- ROASTED VEGETABLE LASAGNA
- MUSHROOM BOLOGNESE PASTA
- PASTA ALLA NORMA (SPICY EGGPLANT PASTA)
- BUCATINI WITH SICILIAN ALMOND PESTO
- BURST CHERRY TOMATO PASTA WITH RICOTTA
The Family Style Cookbook is coming!
Featuring 60 all-new recipes and tips, plus a photograph of every dish. This beautiful book will be your guide to cooking DELICIOUS dishes for sharing!