Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here
I’m Karen, the creator of Familystyle Food.
I have to confess right off that bat that I’m pretty much always craving some particular thing to eat or cook. That must explain why I love what I do!
My appetite is sparked by the sensuality of food – color, texture and smell.
What you’ll find on Familystyle Food:
- Content that sparks your appetite and give you tools and ideas to cook, eat and live well.
- Lots of seasonal produce and what I call “real” food in my recipes, which I like to keep pared down and unfussy.
- For the most part, the recipes are geared toward healthful meals made from scratch with minimally processed ingredients.
- They range from quick and easy (ready in less than an hour) one-dish mains and salads to simple desserts and dishes to make for entertaining and relaxed weekend cooking.
COOK FROM THE PANTRY:
I’m a huge advocate for everyday home cooking, and believe that the best way to master the daily meal dilemma is with a well-stocked pantry.
Check out this essential Healthy Pantry Checklist to learn how to get started on your own cooking journey!
Best kitchen tools and favorite pantry ingredients to buy on Amazon.
Nutrition information in the recipe cards is automatically calculated by Nutritionix.
I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee the accuracy of each nutrition breakdown.
When your health depends on specific nutrition information, please calculate with your favorite calculator.
Familystyle Food recipes to try:
If you love good food but often struggle finding time to actually cook, or often search the grocery store wondering what to buy and what to do with it, there are recipes here to help.
Here’s a sample of easy recipes that are big on flavor:
About Familystyle Food:
Looking back I can see that those hours spent around the table were a gift from my grandparents.
It was the best way they knew to keep family bound together and nourished, as generations multiplied, kids grew up and babies were born.
Maybe because of that, I’m drawn to the simplicity of rustic food – Mediterranean for sure — but also from cultures where dishes are shared communally, from big platters that get passed around the table.
I’m a freelance recipe developer, writer and photographer. I am the former food editor at the Village Voice in New York City.
I trained in restaurant kitchens, and was for many years a personal chef, planning dinner menus and shopping for all the fresh ingredients needed for a day of cooking in one of my client’s kitchens.
My passion for cooking healthy whole food led me to pursue certification in holistic nutrition from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.
To recharge, I often listen to music, spend time with my family and read fiction and cookbooks (naturally!).
I’m also pretty dedicated to exercise and try to fit in time for these streaming workouts daily.
In late 2013, I moved from the Midwest, where I lived for more than 15 years, back to the East Coast.
I’m in a great town in New Jersey, about 20 miles from New York City. I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that I’m close to the epicenter of so much culture, history and best of all — food!
Work with Me:
Are you looking for recipe development, food photography or marketing for your food brand or product?
10 things I love:
- Vintage linen napkins
- The smell of a freshly-cut lemon
- A full moon shining on the ocean
- Chili peppers
- A good set of headphones and a great playlist
- Sleeping with the window open
- The sound palm trees make in the breeze
- Wood fires
- Chocolate (darker the better)