A rich, hearty soup with layers of flavor. This chickpea stew is a nourishing, delicious one-bowl meal that cooks in about 30 minutes. Make it with your choice of meat or vegetarian chorizo.
This hearty chickpea stew has so much going on flavorwise, featuring spicy chorizo sausage, roasted red peppers and a healthy amount of leafy greens.
Think of it as a Spanish-style chili, a meal you can eat out of the bowl while sitting on the couch in front of your favorite movie.
As much as I advocate for togetherness when it comes to family dinner — Gather Around the Table is my tagline, after all — sometimes you just gotta cozy up to a warm bowl in your lap and something on the screen that changes your mood. Netflix anyone?
Of course, a pot of this very satisfying stew would be wonderful served straight from the pot plunked on the dinner table, along with a salad and some crusty bread.
If you have more serious hunger cravings to address, cook some soup-sized pasta like small shells and stir it into the pot.
For the soup in these photos, I made the stew with my favorite gluten-free pasta made from chickpea flour.
Chorizo is usually seasoned with a blend of spices that includes paprika, garlic and chili. When you add those already tasty bits to this soup, things start to get even more mouthwatering.
Make sure the chorizo you use for this recipe isn’t the dry-cured type, which is more like salami or pepperoni.
More Quick One-Bowl Meal Recipes:
- Sweet and Spicy Gochujang Chicken
- 30-Minute Smoky Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Pappardelle Pasta with Portobello Mushroom Ragu
- Thai Basil Chicken with Rice Noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained (or 4 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, peeled, seeded and chopped (see note) or 2 jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 pound cooked chorizo sausage (about 4 links) cut into 1/2-inch pieces or 1 package vegetarian chorizo, prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups loosely packed leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach) torn or chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Pour the oil into a soup pot or Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the paprika, chili, black pepper, bay leaf and 2 teaspoons salt to coat the spices in the oil.
- Add the chickpeas, red bell pepper and 4 cups water to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, 20 - 25 minutes. Adjust the heat to medium-low if it starts to boil.
- Scoop out half the soup, puree in a blender and add back to the pot, or use an immersion stick blender to blend to a thick but chunky texture right in the pan. Add about 1/2 cup more water if you prefer a thinner consistency. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the chorizo and greens into the hot stew to wilt the greens. Serve in bowl topped with the grated cheese.
- To roast red bell peppers, put the whole peppers on a hot barbecue grill, under a broiler or directly over a stovetop gas flame until blackened on all sides. Put the peppers in a bowl and cover. When cool, peel off the skin, remove the stem and seeds. Store peeled peppers in the refrigerator for a week or so.
- Make this hearty soup with meat or vegetarian chorizo
- Add cooked small pasta shells or couscous to satisfy hearty appetites
- Use an immersion blender to easily thicken and smooth the stew right in the pot, or skip that step and just enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 821 Total Fat: 26g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 29g Sodium: 570mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 11g Protein: 43g
Pin this Recipe:
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback on a recipe?
Join the conversation and leave a comment below, or send me an email — I love hearing from you!