A fresh, simple recipe for sweet roasted carrots, seasoned with cumin, smoky paprika, fresh lime and chopped mint.
Carrots could easily be the most overlooked food in the vegetable world. I think that needs to change! This roasted carrot recipe couldn’t be simpler, and delivers a spark of flavor from cumin and tangy fresh lime.
Carrots are a tried-and-true, familiar sight in just about any kitchen. They’re so dependable and ordinary that we don’t even notice them growing whiskers and getting limp in the refrigerator vegetable bin, probably right there next to a sad, yellowing bunch of celery.
I’ve been training myself to treat fresh carrots as well as any other vegetable; not as an afterthought. They taste so good to snack on when crunchy and raw, and they may be even better nutritionally when cooked.
Cooking breaks down the cellulose in vegetables so they are a bit more digestible, but the healthy beta-carotene in carrots needs fat in order to be absorbed.
Roasting baby carrots in olive oil, spices and a bright hit of lime juice is the perfect way to get all nutritious, and so delicious too.
And just forget about those elderly, foot-long, Grand Canyon-cracked carrots with their greens lopped off that you buy individually and invariably taste like a mildewed bath math — who knows how long they’ve been hanging around in storage?
The kind of carrots I’m talking about are bunches of sweet babies you can take home with their fresh green tops still attached.
The best way to roast carrots:
- Carrots roast better in a hot oven, preheated to 400 or 425 degrees.
- Arrange the carrots in one layer on a baking sheet and coat evenly with oil by rolling them over.
- Test carrots for doneness by gently poking with a skewer or point of a small knife.
Roasted Cumin-Lime Carrots
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Simple, healthy recipe for roasted carrots seasoned with spices, fresh lime and a touch of sweetness. An easy to make side dish and a family-favorite.
- 1 pound baby carrots with fresh green tops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice and fresh grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 or 2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey (to taste, depending on the sweetness of the carrots)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Small handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim the tops off the carrots if you like (you can use them in salads if you enjoy their flavor). Toss them on a baking sheet with the olive oil, lime juice and zest, agave, salt and spices.
- Roast about 20 minutes, depending on size, until the carrots are just tender and beginning to color. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with the green onions and mint before tossing together and serving.
Courses side dish
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback? Get in touch or leave me a comment below — I love hearing from you!