Prosciutto crisps baked in the oven are a great high-protein snack chip. They’re delicious crumbled over pasta, salads or vegetables.
These prosciutto crisps are a porky, salty, crunchy snack you can make on the fly.
Ever find yourself at one of those big-box stores with a one-pound package of sliced prosciutto in your cart?
After you get tired of eating really excellent ham sandwiches or making lovely charcuterie boards, here’s something else to do with prosciutto.
Make delicious, crisp and crunchy prosciutto.
The whole process takes less than 20 minutes.
What is prosciutto?
Prosciutto is a type of unsmoked Italian dry-cured ham that has a sweet, salty flavor and delicate texture.
It’s made from a pork thigh (also called the ham) that’s salted and dry-aged for about a year in cold storerooms.
Traditional authentic prosciutto, sometimes called Parma ham, is an artisanal product of Italy.
Prosciutto is very different from American-style bacon, which comes from the belly of the pig and is much fattier and usually smoked.
What can you eat with prosciutto crisps?
- Munch on oven-roasted prosciutto as a snack (they might be even better than bacon-flavored potato chips).
- Crumble prosciutto crisps over pasta, (especially on classic carbonara or cacio e pepe) or mashed potatoes.
- Add to the crisps to soups and all kinds of salads.
- 12 pieces thin-sliced prosciutto
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the prosciutto slices on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper so that they don't overlap, curling the edges like a nest so they don't get too brown.
- Bake until the slices start to shrivel and turn golden, 10 -12 minutes. Keep your eye on it, as the prosciutto can go from crisp to burned quickly.
- Cool on a rack (they will crisp up as they cool).
Prosciutto chips will keep for weeks in a covered container in the fridge. Gently heat in a skillet for a few minutes over medium heat to re-crisp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g