This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Moist, fudgy brown sugar brownies topped with creamy chocolate ganache and crunchy sea salt flakes.
These brown sugar brownies are the stuff of your chocolate dreams: Moist, rich and deeply chocolatey.
Whenever I need a chewy brownie, these are the ones I make.
They’re made with dark chocolate, glazed with a creamy chocolate ganache, and sprinkled with sparkling flaky sea salt for the finishing touch.
If you’re in the moist and chewy brownie camp rather than the cakey one, this recipe is for you.
I switched-up a basic brownie batter recipe by using some brown sugar in place of some of the white sugar.
The batter includes crunchy flaked sea salt for a fun texture and also to intensify the flavors.
How brown sugar works in brownies:
Replacing some of the total sugar in a brownie recipe with brown sugar will result in a slightly more tender, fudgy crumb, because the molasses in the brown sugar adds moisture, as well as a deeper flavor.
Is sea salt good with chocolate brownies?
Flaky salt adds an amazing spark to anything you sprinkle it on, but it’s absolutely wonderful in desserts.
A small amount of salt counterpoints the sugar in recipes.
You barely notice it’s there, but it actually enhances depth of flavor. And well, the crunchy texture is just irresistible.
Chocolate ganache is a smooth mixture of chocolate melted in warm heavy cream, often used as a filling, topping or a sauce.
Depending on the ratio of chocolate to cream, the mixture can be thick and spreadable or thinner and more sauce-like.
For these brownies, the ganache contains a small amount of corn syrup for extra shine, and is spread on cold brownies to help set it.
More yummy salty sweets to try:
Fudgy Sea Salt Brownies
- 8 tablespoons (120 g) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces (225 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (110 g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (70 g) all-purpose flour
- Fleur de sel or flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
- 3 ounces (75 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) corn syrup
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with 2 sheets of overhanging parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Stir in the 8 ounces of chocolate. Lower the heat and stir until melted and smooth. Cool 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and both sugars until thickened and creamy, about 5 minutes at medium-high speed. Add the vanilla chocolate mixture and stir until blended. Add the flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir just to incorporate the flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until edges are firm and center is still slightly soft. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Remove brownie in one slab and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold, at least an hour.
Make the glaze
- Put the 3 ounces of chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place the cream in a small saucepan over low heat. As soon as the edges start to bubble, pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit 30 seconds. Add the corn syrup and stir until completely smooth.
- Set brownie slab on a rack over a large piece of parchment or waxed paper. Pour ganache over the center of the slab and gently spread to the sides.
- Let set about 1 hour. Sprinkle sea salt over the brownie, then cut into bars. To make clean cuts, use a knife that has been heated under hot running water, wiping the blade clean after each cut.
- Tip: To make clean cuts when dividing into bars, use a sharp knife heated under hot running water. Wipe the blade with a towel after each cut.
- Brownies will keep at room temperature for 3 days, well wrapped.
- Brownies can be frozen up to 3 months.
Save this recipe on Pinterest:
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food!