The best recipe for jumbo bakery-style blueberry streusel muffins, loaded with berries and brown sugar oat crumble topping.
It’s not often that I go around yelling that something-or-other is the “best!” thing in the world, mostly because I know from experience that hype can be hugely disappointing.
But these blueberry muffins, made with a buttermilk batter and topped with streusel, are damn good — and I don’t mind saying so.
This is a blueberry version of Big Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Streusel Muffins, one of my most popular baking recipes.
Those muffins are generously oversized, moist-textured muffins with just the right balance of sweetness, berries and buttery brown sugar topping.
These blueberry muffin beauties are not too sweet, with a hint of lemon and pleasing wholesome touch of oats on top.
If you’ve ever tried my Healthy Blueberry Oat Muffins, you know how delicious blueberries and oats are combined in a muffin, especially for a quick snack or healthier breakfast option.
We all know that muffins exist to basically give us permission to eat cake for breakfast.
But here’s the thing — a muffin fully loaded with blueberries has more to offer than most desserts.
Plus, nothing beats homemade muffins when you want to make people happy!
More favorite blueberry recipes:
- Blueberry Oat Morning Muffins
- Lemon Sheet Cake with Blueberries and Mascarpone
- Blueberry Cornmeal Olive Oil Cake
Pro tips for homemade blueberry streusel muffins:
- This is an easy blueberry muffin recipe you don’t have to fuss over. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in the wet ingredients just until blended – no need to beat the batter like crazy (or you’ll end up with tough muffins).
- Use a jumbo muffin tin to make large bakery-style muffins that are perfect for sharing. But if you don’t have that size pan, this recipe will also make a dozen standard muffins (check the baking time at about 20 minutes).
- I like to use these tulip-shaped parchment paper liners to line my pan — they look pretty for serving, but also help keep the muffins in good shape. However, any liner will work. Just be sure to oil the pan well on the inside and on top so the muffins don’t stick.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats, regular or quick
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup neutral vegetable oil, such as canola
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack positioned in the center. Oil a 6-cup muffin tin and line with muffin liners or tulip-shaped parchment liners.
- Mix the ingredients for the streusel in a bowl until it forms large, moist crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Make a well in the center and stir in the egg, oil, butter and buttermilk. Stir just until the flour is incorporated, then fold in 1 cup of the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups 3/4 full. Top with the remaining blueberries and the crumble topping.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries (no need to thaw).
- Instead of 6 jumbo-size muffins, this recipe will also make a dozen standard muffins (check the baking time at about 20 minutes).
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 607 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 653mg Carbohydrates: 89g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 39g Protein: 9g
Pin this recipe for later:
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback on a recipe?
Join the conversation and leave a comment below, or send me an email — I love hearing from you!