These jumbo buttermilk muffins are loaded with fresh strawberries and rhubarb, and baked with a brown sugar crumble topping.
These big, moist muffins are topped with fresh strawberries, rhubarb and a brown sugar crumble. It’s one of the best strawberry rhubarb recipes when the season comes around.
That’s right, just when you thought you were done eating cake, along comes a batch of giant strawberry rhubarb buttermilk muffins to pull you back in 🙂
These jumbo beauties might remind you of a good coffee cake, with their crumbly streusel topping and a buttery, tender texture inside.
But we don’t really believe that muffins are actually a form of cake, do we?
Otherwise we wouldn’t feel so free to indulge in them first thing in the morning!
The great American muffin is actually a traditional quick bread, with a batter leavened with baking powder rather than yeast.
They’re so easy to make and seem to make everyone happy, especially when they’re large and overstuffed with good-for-you ingredients like fresh fruit.
Adding buttermilk to the batter gives the muffins a light, moist texture and since muffins generally have less sugar than cake.
I feel comfortable enjoying them as an all-day, anytime snack.
Let’s just not call them dessert, okay?
What makes these strawberry rhubarb buttermilk muffins so impressive is their generous size.
Since they’re baked in a jumbo muffin tin, they are very shareable.
The batter plus the toppings fill up the muffin cups, so I like to bake these muffins in tulip-shaped parchment paper cups to ensure they keep their shape better (plus they look pretty).
It’s very easy to make your own bakery-style liners out of parchment paper — cut 6-inch squares of paper to fit a jumbo pan, or 5-inch squares to fit a standard muffin pan (here’s a step-by-step video showing how to do it),
Don’t worry if all you have are regular cupcake liners or even no liners at all — just be sure to oil your muffin pan thoroughly, including the top of the pan.
More strawberries and rhubarb recipes
- Super refreshing Strawberry-Rhubarb Gin Cocktails
- Light and flaky Buttermilk Scones with Roasted Strawberry Jam
- Pink Rhubarb Bellinis with prosecco
- Strawberry Crostata Tart with Mascarpone Cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 stalks rhubarb (6 - 8 ounces), diced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grated zest from 1 orange or lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack positioned in the middle. Oil a 6-cup muffin tin and fill with muffin liners or tulip-shaped parchment liners.
- Place the ingredients for the streusel in a bowl and mix until it forms large, moist crumbs. Set aside.
- Put the strawberries, rhubarb, cornstarch, brown sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and gently stir to combine. Set aside while you mix the rest of the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and grated zest. Make a well in the center and stir in the egg, oil, butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until the batter just comes together and the flour is incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Spoon the strawberry mixture evenly over the batter (about 1/2 cup for each cup), then top with the streusel crumbs (2 tablespoons or so per cup)
- Bake 22 - 27 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out with a few moist crumbs.
The recipe makes 6 jumbo "Texas" style muffins or 12 standard-size muffins.
The muffins keep well for a few days, wrapped or stored in a covered container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 4gSugar: 42gProtein: 9g