Add this classic recipe for moist and tasty turkey meatloaf to your recipe file. It’s a family favorite seasoned with sun-dried tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese.
This turkey meatloaf recipe is a family-favorite in my house.
And, back when I was a personal chef this was a dish my clients requested over and over again.
It’s super tasty, because it’s full of Italian-style seasonings like basil, parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
The recipe calls for ground turkey thigh — you know, the dark meat — which ensures the meatloaf turns out tender and juicy.
Is meatloaf kind of like a meatball in loaf form?
Well, yes. And that’s why meatloaf is such a classic comfort food.
Secrets to making the best meatloaf:
- Season generously with salt. My go-to ratio is one teaspoon salt per pound of meat.
- Grate an onion into the meatloaf mix, rather than using chopped onion. It’s the best way to get amped-up flavor, because the onion juices penetrate the meat better.
- Finely chop the flavor base. In this case, that’s the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and basil. This step not only adds flavor, but gives the meatloaf a nice even texture.
- 2 pounds ground turkey thigh
- 1 small onion (3 ounces), peeled
- 1 cup plump, moist sun dried tomatoes, rehydrated in hot water
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put the turkey in a large mixing bowl. Grate the onion into the bowl.
- Pulse the tomatoes, basil, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add to the bowl along with the remaining ingredients except the ketchup. Use a large fork or your hands to combine well.
- Pack the mixture into a loaf pan or form the mixture into a football-shaped loaf on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 45 minutes.
- Spread the ketchup over the top of the meatloaf and bake an additional 10-15 minutes .
- Cool the meatloaf at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 555 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 254mg Sodium: 739mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Protein: 49g
Pin this recipe: