This cold and super-refreshing tequila cocktail with a creamy froth on top has just the right amount of sweet and sour. Shake it up with fresh lime juice, tequila, simple syrup and egg white!
If you love a perfectly ice-cold margarita, you’re going to go bonkers over this drink!
This fresh and light tequila sour is shaken until thick and creamy, and the reward is a very pleasing balance of sweet and tart.
Topped off with a creamy layer of foam, this is a cocktail to enjoy anytime you want the mood to feel decadent and fun.
There’s something special about making a drink with tequila and pretty much any variety of citrus. The two together just make so much sense.
But especially the mix of tequila and LIME — they quench your thirst like nothing else can.
If you browse my other cocktail recipes, you’ll find more than a few drinks mixed with that made-for-each-other combo.
I think it’s because the tartness of lime softens the sharp aromatic zing of tequila, making your mouth thirsty for another sip.
My mojitarita drink recipe is a mash-up of a margarita and a mojito, a perfect example of that fabulous mixture of flavors.
Ingredients in tequila sour
You can mix up this drink with a just a few ingredients.
Many tequila sours also include cocktail bitters, but I wanted to keep my drink focused on the fresh lime flavor and pale green color. Feel free to add a drop or two to your drink if you like.
- Silver tequila (a.k.a. clear or white tequila)
- Fresh limes
- Simple syrup (see recipe below for how to make it)
- Egg whites (fresh or pasteurized)
sour cocktails with egg white
Sour cocktails are old-school bartender classics, and can be made with all kinds of basic bar liquors — rum, whiskey, gin, vodka. Even amaretto! (If you’re into that sort of thing).
But when you take a sour drink and shake it with egg white, you end up with a soft and airy meringue that adds a fancy-looking finishing touch.
Pour the shaken cocktail into a glass and the foam will separate and rise to the top, like whipped cream dolloped on top of a milk shake.
The magic of the dry shake
The secret to the making this drink is something called the dry shake.
This method basically beats the egg whites into an aerated, thickened froth just by shaking without ice.
It sounds intimidating, but trust me, it’s incredibly easy.
- First grab a basic cocktail shaker and pour in the egg whites and all the other liquid ingredients. Don’t add any ice yet.
- Cover and shake as fast and hard as you can for about 30 seconds.
- Add enough crushed ice to fill the shaker 1/3 of the way.
- Cover and shake vigorously one more time for another 30 seconds.
- Strain and pour into a glass.
More fun cocktail recipes
- Shaken Blood Orange Negroni
- Refreshing Rhubarb Cocktail with Tequila and Lime
- Italian Greyhound with Rosemary Sugar
Fresh Lime Tequila Sour
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- 4 ounces egg white, from about 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup *
- Tiny pinch sea salt, optional
- Crushed ice
- Pour everything except the ice into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Add ice to fill the shaker 1/3 full and shake for another 30 seconds.
- Strain into 2 glasses and serve. Enjoy!