This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Italian-inspired corn salad with pan-seared sweet corn, chili pepper and pecorino cheese. Quick and delicious!
Here’s a perfect way to enjoy eating sweet corn off the cob. It’s an Italian-inspired side dish — like a warm salad.
The dish combines fresh red chili, salty Pecorino cheese and the sweet crunch of fresh corn kernels.
The thing to love about this simple recipe is that thanks to red chili and the sharp cheese you get hot, salty, and sweet flavors all at once — yum!
Feasting on summer corn on the cob is right up there at the top of life’s edible pleasures.
I love the ritual of hitting a local farm stand for super-fresh corn. It means shucking it outside in the backyard when we get home (you know — because it gets a little messy).
Are you one of those people who gets carried away when corn’s in season?
I am, and always buying more ears than there are people around to eat them. To make sure it doesn’t go to waste, I slice the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife.
The uncooked corn keeps perfectly in covered container in the fridge for a day or two, and for months in a heavy duty bag in the freezer.
There’s nothing better than reaching into the freezer to find a taste of summer, months after the season is over!
More favorite sweet corn recipes from Familystyle Food:
- Roasted Corn Succotash Salad with Basil and Tomatoes
- Mexican Street-Style Sweet Corn Nachos with Jalapeño Crema
- Lazy Sweet Corn and Mushroom Risotto with Cheddar
Italian Sweet Corn Salad with Pecorino Cheese
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound (450 g) raw corn kernels, from 5 or 6 shucked ears of corn
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup (35 g) grated pecorino Romano cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup (30 g) fresh basil or Italian parsley sprigs, torn or roughly chopped
- Put the olive oil and shallot in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, chili and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir together. Turn the heat down to medium and cook the corn without stirring for 2 minutes, or until it begins to caramelize lightly.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the scallions. Shave some cheese over the corn with a vegetable peeler or grate with rasp grater. Sprinkle the basil over and serve warm or at room temperature.