This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This fresh, herby green sauce with jalapeno and garlic takes just 5 minutes to make, but adds a big spark to just about anything you put it on.
Here’s an endlessly versatile condiment you’ll want to put on everything — use it morning, noon and night on eggs, sandwiches, grilled meat and vegetables.
Fresh green sauce, or salsa verde, is a flavor building-block and takes just a few minutes to make.
It’s open to tweaks, too:
- Throw in a couple anchovies and some fresh basil for more of an Italian-style salsa verde.
- Add a teaspoon of toasted cumin seed and grated fresh ginger for an Indian-style chutney.
Simple Spicy Green Herb Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small green jalapeno or serrano chili pepper, thinly sliced (seeded if you prefer less heat)
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Italian parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Put the vinegar or lemon juice in a small food processor and add the salt, chili pepper and garlic. Pile the herbs on top then pour in the oil.
- Process until the herbs are finely chopped and the sauce comes together to the consistency you prefer – loose and chunky or creamy and smooth.
- Taste and season with additional salt and/or lemon juice if you like.
- You can make this sauce just as quickly by hand – chop the herbs finely and stir everything together in a bowl in the order listed.
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food!