The ultimate baked potato is roasted on a bed of salt. Try this method for tender, fluffy potatoes, topped with savory fresh rosemary butter.
This recipe is an example of everything I love — take an ordinary, everyday ingredient like a potato and elevate it to sublime deliciousness.
And all it takes is a few pounds of salt and an oven!
Plan ahead. That’s what I’m asking you to do because you have to try this method for baking potatoes.
They take at least an hour to reach perfection and you’ll also have to stock up on the salt, but I promise it’s worth it.
Paired with rosemary butter, these potatoes become a simple meal all by themselves.
Yes, anyone can stick a potato in the microwave and have a “baked” potato in minutes.
But there really is a difference using this method.
Burying potatoes in a bed of hot salt makes them steam in the moisture they exude as they bake, so they turn out moist, fluffy and cooked evenly all the way through; simple, earthy and elemental all at once.
- 2 pounds kosher salt or coarse crystal sea salt
- 4 large Yukon Gold or Idaho potatoes (about 10 ounces each), scrubbed
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread about a ½-inch deep layer of salt on the bottom of an 8 x 12-inch heavy casserole or baking dish. Nestle the potatoes in the salt, then pour the remaining salt evenly all around the potatoes (a portion of their tops will be uncovered).
- Bake for one hour. If a skewer easily pierces through the potatoes, they're done. If not, continue baking up to an additional 30 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mash the butter with the rosemary.
- Make a slit down the center of each potato and smoosh the tops to open. Divide the butter over the potato flesh. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
You can reuse the salt after baking the potatoes — strain through a colander to remove clumps and particles.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 46mg Sodium: 185mg Carbohydrates: 73g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g