A homemade spiced sea salt blend infused with the flavor of the Mediterranean — perfect as a rub or pack in a jar for your favorite food-lover.
This flavorful sea salt blend can be used to notch up the flavor of so many things — use it as a rub for all kinds of meat, poultry or seafood.
The fresh Mediterranean flavors in the blend are also fantastic on roasted vegetables (potatoes!). And it makes an out-of-this-world popcorn seasoning — toss it to taste with some fresh parmesan cheese and olive oil.
Herbal-infused salts are one of the simplest ways to add some zest (literally) to basic recipes, and they’re easily mixed together with ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen.
As soon as you make the blend the mixture will become moist from the oils in the lemon and rosemary. But eventually the salt dries them out, essentially preserving and intensifying their flavor and infusing the salt at the same time.
rosemary lemon sea salt blend
Yield 3/4 cup
For a tasty spice rub, use about 1 tablespoon per pound of meat, poultry or fish.
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt or kosher salt (Diamond is my recommended brand)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon crumbed red chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 lemon
- Mix the salt, sugar, chili flakes and rosemary in a bowl.
- Grind the peppercorns, fennel and coriander seeds in a small spice grinder. Stir into the bowl.
- Peel the lemon thinly with a vegetable peeler, avoiding the white pith as much as possible. Slice the peel into thin matchsticks, then slice crosswise to make tiny squares.
- Stir the lemon into the salt mixture. Let the mixture dry for a day or two before packing into a small jar.
Courses spice blend/pantry
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback on a recipe?
Join the conversation and leave a comment below, or send me an email — I love hearing from you!