This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A moist lemon sheet cake recipe with creamy lemon glaze and fresh blueberries. Beautiful and easy to make for any occasion.
Who doesn’t love a good sheet cake recipe?
It’s really the perfect party-ready dessert, and takes a lot less time than making cake layers in multiple pans and fussing around with decorating them.
This moist, spongy cake has mascarpone cheese in the batter as well in the lemony icing.
It’s an easy cake to make and so pretty when simply decorated with summer blueberries.
If blueberries aren’t your thing, this lemon sheet cake can be topped with other summer berries like unsweetened blackberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries.
The reason I say unsweetened is because sugar will cause the berries to release their juices onto the pure white glaze — not a tragic detail, but something to keep in mind.
For extra lemony flavor, I added pure lemon extract to the batter which I can promise you makes this cake so fragrant you can smell it across the room.
If you bake the cake one day ahead, just wrap it (without the icing) in plastic and store at room temperature.
I think cake “aged” like this actually improves its texture and taste.
It’s one of those magical baking science things.
Tips for making mascarpone lemon sheet cake:
- Mascarpone cheese is rich and creamy, with a mild tangy flavor. It’s sort of like a cross between cream cheese and sour cream, only with more butterfat. You can substitute full-fat sour cream for a lighter cake.
- Bake the cake in a rectangular cake pan that measures 9 x 13-inches. Butter and flour the pan well to prevent sticking, or spray with cooking spray before dusting with flour.
- A rasp grater (such as a Microplane) makes fine, fluffy lemon zest. You can also use an old-fashioned, inexpensive zester (also known as a channel knife) to make thin, pretty ribbons of lemon zest.
Lemon Sheet Cake with Blueberries and Mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon butter + 2 tablespoons flour, for pan
- 2 1/2 cups (310 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (350 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil or neutral vegetable oil such
- 8 ounces (225 g) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 2 cups (240 g) confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Fresh mint sprigs, torn into small pieces
- Fresh grated lemon zest
Make the cake
- Heat the oven to 350 (175 C) degrees with the rack placed in the center. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with the butter and sprinkle with the flour. Rotate the pan to coat and tap out the excess flour.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium-high speed just to break them up. Add the sugar and beat 1 or 2 minutes, until thickened and smooth. Pour in the oil in a slow steady stream until the mixture looks emulsified. Add the mascarpone, milk, lemon zest, vanilla and lemon extracts and mix until smooth.
- Stir the flour mixture into the batter in two additions, mixing just until the flour is incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 35 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack.
- Combine the sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir in the mascarpone until smooth. Add more sugar if you want a thicker icing, or more lemon juice to thin.
- Spread the icing on the cooled cake (this is easier if you invert the cake onto a baking sheet, then flip right side up onto another baking sheet). Arrange the blueberries on top and sprinkle with the mint and lemon zest.
Pin this recipe for later
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food!