Make grilled chicken bruschetta for an easy summer dinner — just season the chicken with aromatic herbs and top with sweet fresh tomato salad.
Chicken bruschetta — it’s a perfect example of what minimalist cooking is all about.
And who doesn’t love that, especially on busy weeknights or lazy summer days?
All you need for this recipe are fresh herbs (more is better), ripe, sweet tomatoes and boneless chicken breasts.
Make a simple tomato salad and use it as a fresh sauce for the quick-cooking chicken.
Yes, chicken breasts can be a snooze but there’s nothing like the ease of cooking them.
Plain grilled chicken loves to be paired with acidic flavors and garlic, which is just what this recipe does.
I topped off the chicken on this page with a crazy-good Summer Cherry Tomato Salad, which mixes sweet roasted tomatoes with fresh ones.
It’s a two-for-one kind of recipe, which makes life interesting 🙂
One thing to know about authentic bruschetta is that it’s actually an Italian snack or antipasto based on grilled crusty bread.
It probably ranks as one of the simplest meals in the world: Toasted bread rubbed with garlic, lavishly drizzled with olive oil, and topped with any number of vegetables, meats or cheese.
The salsa-like tomato topping on bread known as bruschetta in the United States is just one variation.
But when did bruschetta become so generic?
I kind of wish it hadn’t, but that doesn’t make it any less delicious!
More ideas for this delicious chicken bruschetta:
- Make the salad ahead of time and leave it at room temperature for a few hours until you’re ready to cook the chicken.
- Add some sliced mozzarella to the plate (bite-size bocconcini are cute and tasty).
- Drizzle with good balsamic vinegar.
- Serve the chicken with fresh greens like arugula or baby spinach for a low-carb meal.
- Of course, you can always serve over pasta!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 or 3 tablespoons assorted chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary and basil
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped to a paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Summer Cherry Tomato Salad see recipe below
- Fresh herb sprigs
- Heat a gas grill to medium-high or prepare a charcoal grill for direct medium-hot grilling.
- Put the chicken in a shallow baking dish and season liberally with salt and pepper (I use about 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper for 4 breasts). Add the herbs and garlic to the breasts and drizzle with olive oil, turning to coat them evenly.
- When the grill is ready, cook the chicken until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter. Spoon the tomato salad over the top and garnish with herb sprigs.
- Assemble the dish and keep at room temperature for 2 - 3 hours.
- Drizzle the dish with balsamic vinegar to finish, if you like.
- Serve with crusty toasted bread or over pasta
- Shave parmesan cheese over the top, or top with sliced mozzarella
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 321mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
- 2 pounds cherry tomatoes in assorted colors, halved
- 1 garlic clove, smashed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- Handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- Fresh mozzarella, burrata or ricotta cheese (optional)
- Toasted bread
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss half the tomatoes in a shallow baking dish with the garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast tomatoes until they become shriveled and softened, 20 - 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the tomatoes along with all the juices in the baking dish to a serving bowl.
- Stir in the remaining raw tomatoes; sprinkle with the sugar and vinegar and gently combine. Sprinkle with the basil.
- Serve with fresh cheese and toasted bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 10g