This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This homey Italian egg drop soup – stracciatella alla Romana – is as grandma-style as it gets.
Except I don’t remember either of my Italian grandmothers making it. Oh well, it’s a loss I can easily get over now that I’m all grown up.
I might even call this recipe part of a New Year’s resolution – to make more soup!
My son loves nothing more than eating soup, with the very strong exception of soup containing any form of seafood, so I know I have at least one taker.
How to make stracciatelle soup
You might know from experience what happens to eggs when they’re mixed with hot liquids.
But the magic of this soup is that combined with fine semolina, they turn a basic broth into a creamy soup filled with “tiny shreds” of egg, the stracciatelle.
I added some potato and kale to my soup to make it even more of a nourishing meal. It must be the Italian mama in me or something!
Italian Egg Drop Soup with Potato and Kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons semolina flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1⅓ cups finely shredded kale
- Heat the oil or butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the potato and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the onion with ½ teaspoon salt and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of the broth, lower the heat, cover the pan and cook until the potato is soft, about 12 minutes.
- Whisk together 1 cup broth in a bowl with the eggs, flour and cheese.
- Add the remaining 2 cups broth to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to pan, whisking constantly. Turn the heat down to low and continue whisking for 2 minutes, until the soup thickens.
- Stir in the kale. Serve in bowls with additional cheese, if you like.
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food!