This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A rich, velvety, dairy-free soup with turmeric-spiced cauliflower, coconut milk and a zesty green cilantro sauce.
Imagine a creamy, nourishing cauliflower soup that not only warms you up, but feels good to eat, inside and out.
Turmeric Soup Benefits
This soup is spiked with a good dose of turmeric, which we probably all know for its radiant golden color.
Turmeric root has amazing health benefits, which are probably best left for health experts to explain.
But for us everyday cooks, here are just a handful of turmeric’s nutritional attributes:
- High in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Immunity boosting
- One of the highest plant source of beta-carotene.
The beauty of this soup is not just the incredible color, but how totally rich and satisfying it is.
It’s based on cauliflower pureed with coconut milk, and topped with swirl of green herb sauce, yogurt and toasted sesame seeds.
You get a creamy bowl of soup, but it doesn’t have dairy cream (it’s the magic of coconut, again).
The recipe falls comfortably within the spectrum of healthy vegetarian/vegan cooking, with the added bonus that it’s simply delicious!
With the addition of a small amount of potato and the creamy coconut milk, the texture of the soup turns out wonderfully silky.
I also added a chopped green apple to the pot for a subtle layer of tart-sweetness.
Make sure to try the soup topped with a few spoonfuls of Simple Green Sauce, which adds a welcome blast of vibrant acidity and fresh, bright herbal flavors to cut the richness.
Golden Coconut Cauliflower Soup (Vegan)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 head (1350 g) cauliflower, 1 1/2 pounds, sliced into florets
- 1 (50 g) small potato (about 4 ounces), peeled and diced
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 5 cups (1.18 l) water or vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce (426 g) can coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional ideas for garnish
- Simple Green Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 g) whole milk or plant-based yogurt
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a large pot, cook the onion in the oil over medium heat until softened. Stir in the turmeric and cayenne and cook for a few seconds to bloom the spices in the oil.
- Add the cauliflower, potato and apples. Stir together, and cook for a minute or two.
- Add 5 cups water (or vegetable stock), coconut milk, 2 teaspoons salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and partially cover the pan. Cook 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender when pierced.
- Let the mixture cool slightly. Scoop out and reserve 1 cup cauliflower florets, then puree the rest of the soup in a blender in 2 or 3 batches, or directly in the pot with an immersion blender. You can add more liquid if necessary if it seems too thick. Stir in the reserved cauliflower florets.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with a spoonful each of Simple Green Sauce and yogurt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food! Read more about me here.