A fresh and easy Brussels sprouts slaw with grapes, feta cheese, toasted walnuts and a lemony Dijon dressing. Crunchy, tangy-sweet and delicious.
Here’s a quick, healthy salad to make with Brussels sprouts, your favorite mini cabbage.
While there’s almost nothing better than roasted Brussels sprouts crusted with Parmesan cheese, this fresh salad comes very, very close.
It has the irresistible flavor combo of sweet and tangy, and the textural crunch of shaved raw Brussels sprouts.
I’m not really sure what the botanical story of Brussels sprouts is — do they actually come from Brussels?
Whatever their history, I’ve always loved them. Their cute, compact cabbage-like shape and sweet nutty undertones make them a very charming vegetable, you have to admit.
That said, there are plenty of otherwise open-minded eaters who hate on Brussels sprouts.
If you happen to know one (or are one yourself) this recipe is a good place to start friendly negotiations.
Eating Brussels sprouts raw tames their reputation for well, not smelling very good.
In their defense, smelly cruciferous vegetables get that way when overcooked. In this recipe you avoid that little problem altogether!
Tips for delicious Brussels sprouts slaw:
To prepare, first trim off the stem end of each sprout and remove any damaged or yellow leaves.
If you have time, make the slaw about 15- 30 minutes before serving so that the leaves absorb the dressing.
To get the best thin slices of Brussels sprouts, shave them using a plastic mandoline slicer. You can also shred them in a food processor using the large slicing disc.
Looking for more recipes with Brussels sprouts?
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces seedless grapes (red and green, if possible), halved
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Dijon Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot or red onion
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put the Brussels sprouts, grapes, feta, walnuts and parsley in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Inspired a recipe in Not Without Salt.
Recipe updated September 2018.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 352 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 503mg Carbohydrates: 31g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback on a recipe?
Join the conversation and leave a comment below, or send me an email — I love hearing from you!