This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Here’s a curry sweet potato soup you must try! It has coconut milk, Thai peanut sauce and kale and makes a perfect vegan or vegetarian main dish.
What’s not to love about a healthy one dish bowl? I’m always on the lookout for quick meals like this one that are flavor-packed yet so quick and easy to make.
This Thai sweet potato soup is chock full of good stuff like sweet potatoes, kale and Annie Chun’s maifun rice noodles. And it’s a naturally gluten-free vegan recipe (check your brand of peanut sauce to be sure it doesn’t contain wheat derivatives).
What you need to make Thai sweet potato soup
- Sweet potatoes and kale
- Shallot or red onion
- Tamari (or soy sauce)
- Spices: Ground cayenne and turmeric
- Canned coconut milk
- Rice noodles
- Peanut butter and unsalted peanuts
- Thai-style peanut sauce
Peanuts and sweet potatoes are so good together! I added just a bit of peanut butter for a subtle flavor base. Plus using a nut butter in a soup or stew is a great way to thicken it without adding dairy or flour.
All you need to finish off this bowl is a flourish of chopped unsalted peanuts for crunch, and some sprigs of fresh cilantro. Let me know in the comments how you like it!
Thai Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil or neutral vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup (55 g) finely chopped shallot or red onion
- 14 ounces (400 g) sweet potatoes (2-3), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tamari or soy sauce
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Thai peanut sauce
- 4 ounces (125 g) maifun or vermicelli rice noodles
- ¼ cup (125 g) chopped unsalted peanuts
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven or medium-high heat. Stir in the shallot and sweet potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened.
- Add the garlic, turmeric and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peanut butter, soy sauce, broth and ½ cup of the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and partially cover the pan with a lid. Cook 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the soup and puree in a blender or use an immersion blender right in the pot. Stir in the remaining ½ cup coconut milk, kale and peanut sauce.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and divide into serving bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles, sprinkle with peanuts and serve.