This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tasty vegetarian tacos that are quick and easy to make! This taco recipe uses organic whole grains, black beans and smoky roasted sweet potatoes to make a fantastic healthy meal.
For your next meatless Monday or taco night – vegetarian tacos stuffed with all the good stuff!
They’re loaded with a whole-grain blend of brown rice and quinoa, roasted chipotle-spiced sweet potatoes and black beans.
When you think about the infinite possibilities involved in building a taco, it’s no wonder that they’re at they’re often at the top of the list when it comes to eating fresh and healthy.
The best thing about tacos is that wrapping food in a totally edible container (that would be the tortilla) and eating it with your hands is fun and nourishing at the same time.
Who doesn’t love that?!
So — how do you approach filling your tacos with all the good stuff? Start with excellent — preferably organic — ingredients.
You can use any cooked whole grain you like instead, like brown rice or plain quinoa.
I encourage stocking a healthy pantry with whole foods and organic ingredients, because it’s the building block for healthy cooking.
Tacos satisfy on so many levels. One is that tacos are the ultimate hand-held meal. You could say that making healthy tacos is the best way to eat well while on the go!
Making healthy tacos:
My favorite tacos have a magic ratio of components going on:
- Different textures
- Fresh ingredients like herbs and greens
- One or two hearty proteins
To add a sweet and delicious texture to these tacos, I included roasted diced sweet potatoes seasoned with smoky chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (available in cans in the Mexican foods or condiment section of your store).
But let’s be real – there are days when there’s simply no time to spend 20 minutes making a batch of rice just to make tacos.
All you have to do is heat leftover grains the microwave for 90 seconds, or empty the rice mixture into a skillet and heat it for a few minutes on the stovetop before assembling the tacos.
- I love the taste and texture of corn tortillas, so I usually have them on hand in the fridge or freezer for when the mood strikes.
- Bonus if you find corn tortillas made from 100 percent masa, this recipe is completely gluten-free.
For the ultimate garnish for your tacos, make a batch of The Best Easy Guacamole to go with!
Chipotle Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 canned chipotle chili with adobo sauce, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- ½ cup canned organic black beans, drained
- 6-8 taco-size corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Easy Guacamole or your favorite guac
- Hot sauce
- Sliced avocado
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the sweet potato on a rimmed sheet pan with the olive oil, chili powder, chipotle and salt. Roast 20-25 minutes, until tender and golden.
- Prepare the Quinoa and Brown Rice with Garlic according to package directions. Stir in the black beans.
- To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup of the brown rice and black bean mixture over each warm tortilla. Top with some sweet potato, black beans and goat cheese.
- Add your desired garnishes and enjoy!
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food! Read more about me here.