This tangy, vibrant sauce with fresh pomegranate seeds is so delicious served with meat, poultry, salad or soft tangy cheeses like goat or brie.
I’d like to introduce you to one of my favorite little sauces: Fresh pomegranate relish.
It’s the perfect thing to make in the cooler fall and early winter months when ruby-red pomegranates are in season — the jewel-like colors of the sauce look so festive on a holiday table.
Try this crunchy and intriguingly sweet-tart sauce instead of cranberry relish, or just add it to the table with all the usual fixing to mix things up!
The relish is also fantastic on a cheese plate with soft cheeses like goat or brie. I spoon it over my Ricotta Flatbread to make an easy, beautiful holiday appetizer.
Once pomegranates come into season in late fall, I like to use the juicy sparkling seeds as much as possible.
Sometimes I use the juice to make a sorbet, and add the fresh seeds to festive fall drinks like Hard Cider Ginger Spritz.
You just need a few ingredients to make this recipe, including pomegranate molasses, which might be an ingredient you will want to get to know better.
What’s pomegranate molasses?
Pomegranate molasses, or pomegranate syrup, is a Mediterranean-Middle Eastern condiment made with pomegranate juice that’s been boiled until it’s reduced to a thick, concentrated syrup.
It tastes intriguing fruity, with a surprising balance of sweet and sour.
Pomegranate molasses adds a wonderful unique sweet-and-sour tang to marinades, sauces and salads. You can even drizzle it over yogurt or cheese.
Where to buy pomegranate molasses
You can find pomegranate molasses in the international section of many grocery stores. One of my favorite brands is made in small batches without added sugar.
If you want to make this relish and don’t have pomegranate molasses, not to worry. Use honey instead, with an additional splash of fresh lemon juice.
Fresh Pomegranate Relish
Makes 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) finely chopped shallot
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pomegranate molasses or honey
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (165 g) fresh pomegranate seeds, from about 1 small/medium pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest, optional
- Mix the shallot, salt and lemon juice in a small bowl and let it marinate for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the pomegranate molasses and oil, then add the pomegranate seeds, parsley and orange zest.
- Keep the relish in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.