Elevate your morning oats with amazingly delicious preserved Italian amarena cherries and a healthful mix of fresh berries, nuts and seeds.
The two best things about creamy oatmeal:
- Oatmeal is adaptable. The bland nature of oats means you can go wild with flavorings. And you don’t need to waste your money on those super-sweetened oatmeal packets lining supermarket shelves.
- They’re quick! Oats take literally minutes to make in a microwave or on top of the stove. That means you can get a healthy start to your day in no time.
Amarena cherries are a type tart cherry grown in northern Italy.
They’re packed in flavorful cherry syrup, and let me tell you they are the cherry bomb. They have a tart sweetness and an intense almond-candy smell and taste.
While the word “amarena” makes me think of almond-flavored amaretto, it actually derives from the word amara which means “bitter” in Italian.
These darkly colored cherries aren’t bitter at all — they taste amazing over warm, creamy oats (not to mention other treats like ice cream and creative cocktails).
These sweet cherries might be a slightly indulgent garnish for oatmeal, but a little goes a long way. Plus, you can feel good about the fact that cherries are regarded as a superfood!
Make this morning bowl even more interesting (and nutritious) by topping with fresh berries, healthful sesame seeds and plain yogurt.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, quick or regular
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk of choice (cow, almond, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup amarena cherries in syrup
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Sesame seeds
- Ground flax seed
- Cacao nibs
- Chopped dark chocolate
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh berries
- Mix the oats, salt and 1 cup milk in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high heat for 1 - 1/2 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the oats are thickened to your liking.
- Stir the additional milk into the oats until creamy.
- Top the oats with the cherries, almonds and optional toppings.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1572 Total Fat: 82g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 63g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 339mg Carbohydrates: 182g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 32g Sugar: 90g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 46g
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback on a recipe?
Join the conversation and leave a comment below, or send me an email — I love hearing from you!