Elevate your morning oats with amazingly delicious preserved Italian amarena cherries and a healthful mix of fresh berries, nuts and seeds.
The two best things about creamy oatmeal:
- Oatmeal is adaptable. The bland nature of oats means you can go wild with flavorings. And you don’t need to waste your money on those super-sweetened oatmeal packets lining supermarket shelves.
- They’re quick! Oats take literally minutes to make in a microwave or on top of the stove. That means you can get a healthy start to your day in no time.
Amarena cherries are a type tart cherry grown in northern Italy.
They’re packed in flavorful cherry syrup, and let me tell you they are the cherry bomb. They have a tart sweetness and an intense almond-candy smell and taste.
While the word “amarena” makes me think of almond-flavored amaretto, it actually derives from the word amara which means “bitter” in Italian.
These darkly colored cherries aren’t bitter at all — they taste amazing over warm, creamy oats (not to mention other treats like ice cream and creative cocktails).
These sweet cherries might be a slightly indulgent garnish for oatmeal, but a little goes a long way. Plus, you can feel good about the fact that cherries are regarded as a superfood!
Make this morning bowl even more interesting (and nutritious) by topping with fresh berries, healthful sesame seeds and plain yogurt.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, quick or regular
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk of choice (cow, almond, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup amarena cherries in syrup
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Sesame seeds
- Ground flax seed
- Cacao nibs
- Chopped dark chocolate
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh berries
- Mix the oats, salt and 1 cup milk in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high heat for 1 - 1/2 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the oats are thickened to your liking.
- Stir the additional milk into the oats until creamy.
- Top the oats with the cherries, almonds and optional toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1572Total Fat: 82gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 63gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 182gFiber: 32gSugar: 90gProtein: 46g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate with your favorite calculator.