This homemade rich hot chocolate recipe is a luscious cold-weather treat. Top with softly whipped cream for a simple dessert in a cup.
Cold weather season has its charms, you have to admit.
One of them is warming up, inside and out, by wrapping your hands around a steaming mug of hot chocolate.
Yes, your reliable powdered cocoa mix, strewn with marshmallow bits and lots of sugar, will do the trick — and it only requires water and a couple seconds to make.
But why not up your game? This rich hot chocolate recipe is full of flavor and an indulgent pleasure to drink.
The mix has just the right amount of sweetness, along with a little cocoa and a lot more chocolate.
The consistency is like a creamy ganache sauce, smooth and luxurious.
You can serve this hot chocolate in place of dessert after a special meal, or simply to treat yourself.
How to make the best rich hot chocolate
- Use top-quality chocolate that contains at least 75 percent cacao.
- Scrape the seeds of a split vanilla bean into the milk before simmering for an extra layer of flavor.
- Add a shot of brandy or your favorite liqueur for the grown ups.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into rough pieces or chopped
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Put the milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- While the milk is heating, sift the sugar and cocoa powder over a small bowl (I like to use a mesh tea strainer for this). Stir in the salt.
- Add the cocoa mixture and the chocolate to the milk and whisk well to combine. Simmer the hot chocolate for about 1 minute, until the chocolate is melted. Pour the hot chocolate through a fine strainer to remove any lumps.
- Whip the heavy cream with a whisk or immersion blender until it forms soft peaks. Divide the hot chocolate into cups and spoon some of the cream on top. Sprinkle with cocoa, if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 597 Total Fat: 48g Saturated Fat: 30g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 80mg Sodium: 142mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 13g