This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Try this soft, warm pudding cake to satisfy any chocolate craving. It has the texture of a gooey brownie or pudding cake.
I usually take my chocolate straight and dark, thank you very much.
But the next best thing to nibbling on a slab of chocolate is when it’s baked in a warm, sludgy cake.
It’s what I want to eat slowly with a spoon on a chilly night, sitting by the fire.
What is budino?
Budino is an Italian pudding, and can be either sweet or savory.
I think of this budino recipe like a soft-centered brownie baked in a cup – a chocolate pudding cake.
I like to use cocoa nibs for an extra hit of chocolate and a little crunch.
Italian Chocolate Budino Pudding Cake
- 8 ounces (225 g) chopped dark chocolate
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) butter, plus more for buttering ramekins
- ¼ cup (55 g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) cocoa nibs
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 400 (200 C) degrees and butter 4 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups.
- Place the chocolate and 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth; set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the sugars, eggs, vanilla and salt in an electric mixer until pale and thickened. Add the flour and stir until just combined. Stir in half the chocolate mixture; once it’s blended add the remaining chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the ramekins. Sprinkle some nibs over each. Place the ramekins in a shallow baking dish or on a sheet pan. Bake about 15 minutes, or until the cakes are puffed on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out coated with moist batter. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Hey, I’m Karen
Creator of Familystyle Food
I’m a food obsessed super-taster and professionally trained cook ALL about making cooking fun and doable, with easy to follow tested recipes and incredibly tasty food! Read more about me here.