This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy to make broiled vegetables skewered with tofu, with a creamy vegan dipping sauce.
If you’re ready for a BBQ but not that into grilling or eating meat, this vegan-friendly recipe is for you.
I was happy to create this recipe using Annie Chun’s Teriyaki Sauce to make a quick and tasty veggie dish using tofu and colorful vegetables.
The creamy (dairy-free) dipping sauce is so yummy you’ll want to dip into it over and over. It’s made with soft silken tofu, which whips into the smoothest sauce you can imagine.
Tofu is pretty bland on its own, and really shines when paired with strong flavors.
The combination of extra-firm tofu chunks and vegetables is perfect with the sweet-salty flavors of teriyaki sauce.
Preparing tofu skewers
These tofu skewers get seared right under your broiler, so there’s no need to fire up the grill.
Plus, because they cook in about 10 minutes this recipe is convenient to make when you’re in a crunch for time.
Drain your block of tofu from the liquid in the package, then press it dry with a towel.
If you have time, place the tofu in a shallow baking dish and top with a plate weighed down with a heavy can. This will squeeze out excess water and help the tofu to brown better.
- Cut the vegetables and tofu into similarly-sized pieces and thread on skewers.
- Arrange them on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush with some teriyaki sauce and broil until brown, then flip over, brush with more sauce and cook the other side.
- Serve warm or a room temperature, with the dipping sauce drizzled over or alongside.
This dish is a great pick for a potluck or as an appetizer because it can sit at room temperature for a few hours.
Teriyaki Vegetable and Tofu Skewers
- 1 14-ounce (397 g) block extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 pint (475 g) cherry tomatoes in assorted colors
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- ½ red onion, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup (125 ml) teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup (150 g) sliced cucumber
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 4 ounces (113 g) silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cold water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Arrange oven racks 8-inches from heat source and heat a broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Thread the tofu, tomatoes, bell pepper and onion onto skewers in an alternating pattern. Arrange on the baking pan
- Brush half of the teriyaki sauce over the skewers. Place under the broiler and broil until the tofu turns golden brown, about 5 minutes depending on your oven
- Flip the skewers over and brush with the remaining sauce. Broil another 3-5 minutes
- To make the sauce, put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Serve the skewers on a platter with cucumber and cilantro leaves, with the sauce onthe side
Karen’s Notes and Tips
Nutrition facts are calculated by third-party software. If you have specific dietary needs, please refer to your favorite calculator.