Slow Cooker Root Vegetables with Apple Cider Glaze
Yield 4 - 6 servings
A great holiday vegetable side dish to make in your slow cooker - mixed carrots, sweet potatoes and squash in a buttery apple cider glaze.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds mixed root vegetables of your choice (carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- Chopped fresh thyme
- Boil the cider in a small saucepan until it's reduced by half (1/2 cup). Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, honey, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Put the vegetables in the slow cooker and pour the cider mixture over. Stir to coat.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. Serve warm sprinkled with fresh thyme.
- Check the vegetables during the last 15 minutes of cooking. If you'd like a thicker glaze, remove the lid and cook on high for 10 - 15 minutes to reduce the liquid a bit more.
- To make your vegetables a little dressier, sprinkle on some toasted chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts, and grated Gruyere or Parmesan cheese.
Courses side dish
Cuisine slow cooker
Recipe by Familystyle Food at https://familystylefood.com/slow-cooker-root-vegetables/