A beautiful simple salad recipe for fall and winter — shaved rainbow carrots with sweet tangerine dressing and fresh pomegranate seeds.
This carrot tangerine salad came about after visiting the last farmer’s market of the year in my neck of New Jersey.
I’m still wrapping my head around that fact…can’t we push the “Pause”button so that I can resume my summer?
No? Well, okay. I hereby accept there was a major interruption in my usual flow of life. Moving on!
While living in the moment, I scooped up this gorgeous bunch of heirloom carrots in rainbow colors before the market closed.
I was going to throw them in a roasting pan – my usual modus operandi – but changed my mind when I saw the jeweled-colored ribbons that coiled on my cutting board as I started to peel the carrots, and decided to make a salad instead.
Tangerine juice is super-sweet, especially so after reducing to a light syrup. It makes a pure, simple dressing when paired with olive oil and plays so nicely with carrots.
I can see this salad taking up residence on my table for the next few months; starting with Thanksgiving and all through the holiday season.
- ¾ teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 juicy tangerines, such as Murcott or Satsuma variety
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt
- 4 medium carrots (about 4 ounces each); scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh pomegranate seeds
- Put the coriander seeds in a small (5 - 8-inches) skillet set over medium heat. Toast about 5 minutes - just until the seeds become fragrant; remove from the pan.
- Halve 2 of the tangerines and squeeze the juice into the same skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce to 2 tablespoons.
- Coarsely crush the coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle or by using the flat side of a large chef’s knife on a cutting board. Combine the coriander with the reduced tangerine juice, shallot, honey and ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Peel the remaining tangerine and divide into segments; add to the juice mixture.
- If your carrots are especially hairy give them a quick surface peel with a swivel peeler and discard. Shave the carrots into ribbons, turning to include all sides (you’ll be left with a slender core, which is the cook’s treat).
- Pile the carrot ribbons into a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add a good pinch of salt and gently massage with your hands to coat. Pour the tangerine mixture over and toss again.
- Serve the carrot salad with some pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 176mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g