simple french almond plum cake
Yield one 8-inch cake
This buttery French Almond Plum Cake is one of the easiest desserts to make - mix all the ingredients in one bowl, top with ripe stone fruit, berries or fresh figs and bake.
The cake doesn't rise very much, but turns out deliciously moist and tender. Serve warm slices with ice cream or at room temperature sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Try this recipe topped with fresh berries or figs, too!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 egg whites, whisked lightly
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 or 6 ripe plums or 3 or 4 peaches/nectarines, pitted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and postiion rack in the center. Lightly coat the sides of an 8-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with cooking spray or neutral oil.
- Sift both flours, confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and salt together using a mesh strainer set over a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter, egg whites and both extracts until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tart pan. Arrange the sliced plums around the top. Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon sugar over the fruit.
- Bake 18 - 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean and the edges of the cake are golden brown.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then separate the base from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make your own almond meal for this recipe by grinding 2 ounces of almonds (blanched or not) with 2 tablespoons of the powdered sugar called for in the recipe.
Recipe by Familystyle Food at https://familystylefood.com/plum-almond-cake/