Have breakfast for dinner! Make these healthier high-protein parmesan waffles topped with savory Mediterranean roasted vegetables.
This recipe post was created in collaboration with Kodiak Cakes.
Breakfast for dinner was definitely more of thing when I had wee ones running around.
Why did it go away?
I’m not sure, but after making a meal of these savory parmesan waffles the other day, I want to share this message: It’s time to bring it back.
But first, we have to agree to switch up the daily routine and have some fun.
Who’s to say that waffles need to be sweet?
For this recipe, I’m tempting you with crisp, cheesy, parmesan waffles hot off the iron, topped with a mixture of roasted Mediterranean vegetables that you’d find in ratatouille, like tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini.
If you’ve ever been around crisp parmesan crackers (“frico” in Italian) as they’re being made on a griddle, you’ll recognize the mouthwatering aroma that fills the kitchen as these waffles bake.
Meals in our house have always leaned to the “healthy” side, even more so now that my toddlers have grown to young adults with a penchant for junk food.
Here’s a reality that we don’t talk about enough: Even after years of raising them on carefully prepared food that was as close to nature as possible, my almost-grown kids are fiends for any kind of salty, sugary-sweet processed stuff that they can buy with their own money.
What’s a mom to do?
Making a batch of pancakes and waffles from scratch presents a perfect stealth move.
The kid in all of us loves those things, and it’s an opportunity to go heavy on the wholesome, like these Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes.
When I choose a packaged mix over making a recipe from scratch, I’m the person who scrutinizes the ingredients label. The briefer it is, the better.
Kodiak Cakes recently sent me some of their baking mixes to experiment with, and I was impressed that they contain quality ingredients — lots of rustic whole grains bumped up with extra protein, and no GMOs, preservatives or tons of added sugar.
They definitely passed most of my admittedly high standards.
I played around with a few combos before landing on these homemade parmesan waffles. They’re perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, especially if you roast the vegetables a day or two ahead (just reheat them to serve).
What are your favorite ways to mix-up your dinner routine while keeping it fresh and simple? Let me know in the comments!
Kodiak Cakes is offering a 10% discount on your entire order: Use code FamilystyleFood10 on checkout.
savory parmesan waffles with roasted mediterranean vegetables
Yield 4 servings
Breakfast for dinner! Savory Parmesan Waffles topped with a flavorful mix of roasted vegetables.
Roast the vegetables a day or two ahead, and these high-protein waffles can be made in minutes. They're a healthy alternative for family dinner time.
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled if desired and diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 or 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 or 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, fresh basil or a mixture
- 1 cup Kodiak Cakes All Purpose Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the bell pepper, onion, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes with the olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender and golden on the edges, about 25 minutes. Add the garlic, vinegar and herbs and stir to mix.
- Whisk the baking mix, cheese, egg and milk in a bowl until smooth. Pour the batter onto a preheated waffle maker and bake until golden brown.
- Serve the waffles right away, topped with some of the vegetables and additional parmesan cheese.
Courses main course
Cuisine healthy vegetarian
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
Have a question or feedback? Get in touch or leave me a comment below — I love hearing from you!