orecchiette cacio e pepe with parsnips
Yield 4 servings
- 2 or 3 small parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound orecchiette pasta
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon each whole green and white peppercorns (or use an additional teaspoon black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus additional for serving
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- Lacinato or Tuscan kale leaves; about a handful, torn into pieces
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Put the parsnips on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast until tender and lightly browned, 15 -20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 3 tablespoons kosher salt and the orecchiette; cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, put all the peppercorns in an electric spice or coffee grinder and pulse until coarsely ground (if you don’t have a coffee grinder dedicated to spices, crush the pepper in a manual pepper grinder or a mortar and pestle – it will build up some muscles).
- Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; when the pan is hot, add the peppercorns and whole fennel seeds and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the butter and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir together until the butter melts, then remove from the heat.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water in a heatproof measuring cup. Add the pasta to the sauté pan along with the parsnips and both cheeses; toss it all together. Add some of the reserved water, a few tablespoons at a time, until the cheese melts into a creamy sauce; you might not use it all.
- Stir the kale leaves into the hot pasta to wilt them. Serve with additional cheese on the side.
Recipe by Familystyle Food at https://familystylefood.com/orecchiette-cacio-e-pepe-with-parsnips/