This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShopRiteFamilyMeals #WholesomePantry #RootedInFrontera #CollectiveBias
Add these delicious homemade cilantro-lime tacos to your family dinner plan and have more fun making dinner.
Days seem to get more hectic for everyone in the fall, no matter what your family’s schedule looks like.
Along with jam-packed days, maybe those well-intentioned goals to get a handle on daily meal planning fall by the wayside.
Family meals are easy to put on the back burner, but it’s important not to.
Study after study provides significant, measurable scientific proof about the positive, lifelong benefits of family meals.
That’s where the beauty of ShopRite and taco night comes in!
Traditional tacos are humble fare, arguably the original handheld meal.
Taco love is universal. They satisfy hunger relatively quickly and economically, but in addition to that, there’s just something about having a taco-making night that feels like a special event.
It might have something to do with how tacos can be personalized, rolled around any number of fillings, sauces and condiments. Plus they happen to be one of the few meals that we can stuff freely into our mouths, no utensils required!
Planning taco night at home requires minimal advance work, then it’s all a matter of assembling and eating!
I went to a local ShopRite store where I live in New Jersey and was happy to find all the fresh ingredients that I needed to make a fun, healthy meal, including Frontera salsa, organic salad greens and minimally processed chicken ShopRite’s Wholesome Pantry line.
While I’m not in favor of strict rules when it comes to making tacos, I do believe that if your goal is making really delicious ones at home, using fresh, high-quality ingredients is a must.
Think about it — with something as basic as a taco, it’s all about a tortilla that functions as the wrapper for all the tasty things inside it.
If possible, look for ingredients made without preservatives and try to use corn or flour tortillas with a minimal list of ingredients. So that means keep ingredients for taco night fresh and simple — my mantra!
I definitely approve of prepared salsas whose label breakdown lists fresh whole ingredients and not much else.
I’ve become a fan of Frontera salsas because they taste so much like the ones I make myself when I have more time.
For this recipe, I used Frontera’s Jalapeño Cilantro flavor, but any one of your favorite Frontera’s salsa varieties will work to make these tacos. (Half of the fun is being able to customize!)
How to have a family taco night:
When all the individual components are ready and made ahead, it’s just a matter of assembly.
That’s a moment that becomes the perfect opportunity for wrangling some quality family time, while allowing every member to customize their taco just they way they like.
- Find the best place in your house to gather – the dining table, kitchen island, or a table in the backyard. It’s fun switching things up!
- Ask for help getting all the prepared ingredients together, then have each person build their own taco. It’s a fun way to get everyone involved in the process of preparing and eating a meal together.
Do you live near ShopRite stores? At select locations you can meet with a registered dietician to assist in your healthy meal-planning goals. Visit ShopRite WellEveryday for more info and tips.
Cilantro-Lime Chicken Tacos
Yield 4 servings
Make these easy chicken tacos marinated with cilantro, fresh lime and salsa for your next family taco night.
- ½ cup Frontera Jalapeno Cilantro salsa, plus additional for serving
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds Wholesome Pantry boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted
- 12 corn tortillas, heated *see note below
- 1 ½ cups Wholesome Pantry Organic Romaine Blend
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
Optional taco garnishes:
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sliced jalapeños
- Thinly sliced sweet onion, such as Vidalia, or red onion
- Hot sauce
- Mix the salsa, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, cilantro, oil, cumin and salt in a bowl or shallow baking dish. Add the chicken and toss the pieces to coat. Set aside to marinate 15 – 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl and add the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice and ½ teaspoon salt. Lightly mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Taste for seasoning and add more lime juice or salt.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high or an oiled heavy grill pan or cast-iron skillet indoors on the stovetop (be sure to use your exhaust fan or open a window). Cook the chicken, turning frequently until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Let the chicken rest 10 minutes, then slice or chop into bite-size pieces.
- To make the tacos, put some lettuce leaves on each tortilla. Put a spoonful of mashed avocado on the lettuce. Arrange the chicken on top. Top with cheese, more salsa and additional garnishes, if desired.
*To heat tortillas, hold them with a pair of tongs over a gas flame on your stovetop for about 30 seconds on each side. Or wrap tortillas in a kitchen towel, pile on a plate and heat in a microwave on high for 15 – 30 seconds, until soft and warm. Whatever method you choose, keep the tortillas wrapped in a towel to keep warm.
See here for more Frontera & Wholesome Pantry at ShopRite recipe inspirations!
Hi there! I’m Karen, a mother of two and a professionally trained cook certified in holistic nutrition.
As the recipe developer, photographer and publisher of Familystyle Food, I share recipes and tips for making easy seasonal meals that are healthy and flavorful.
Have a question or feedback? Get in touch or leave me a comment below — I love hearing from you!