My favorite sentences start with three little words: Pop the Cork.
Along with the words, the actual sound of a cork emerging from a bottle with a pop, bang or that slow phssssstt indicating the energized presence of fizzy bubbles, has the power to lift my spirits in the blink of an eye. Like magic.
It’s one of the purest sounds of celebration that I know, and such a simple thing, really.
This bubbly concoction is much like the strawberry version of a Bellini – a Rossini. Its pretty pink color and fresh strawberry essence make it seem like just the thing you’d want to drink for lunch, brunch or while watching the sun going down somewhere.
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry flavored liqueur or vodka (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 750-ml bottle Prosecco, chilled
- Puree the strawberries, sugar, liqueur and lemon juice in a blender until very smooth.
- Pour through a fine strainer set over a container with a pouring spout.
- Pour the puree into glass flutes to fill by 1/3 ; slowly pour Prosecco over the puree; stir gently.