After posting my recipe for homemade oatmeal mix the other day, I remembered that I wanted to share this idea for topping off your morning oats.
Admittedly, it’s a little indulgent. Amarena cherries are a type of tart cherry grown in northern Italy. They’re soaked in grappa or brandy and packed in cherry syrup, and let me tell you they are the Cherry Bomb. I really like their tart sweetness and intense almond-like essence.
It could be that the word “amarena” makes me think of amaretto. I’m not sure how the extracted almond flavor is achieved; whether it’s naturally how the cherries taste or if they’re enhanced by the type of brandy used – all I know is the cherries work very nicely paired with the crunch of toasted almonds and warm, creamy oats.
They are sweet and rich, but a little goes a long way here. Feel good knowing that cherries are regarded as a superfood with protective benefits against degenerative disease.
Oatmeal with Amarena Italian Cherries & Almonds
- 1/2 cup homemade oatmeal mix
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground golden flaxseed
- 1 or 2 tablespoons amarena cherries in syrup, depending on your sweet tooth
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Mix the oatmeal mix and milk in a microwaveable bowl; microwave on high heat for 1 - 1/2 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the oats are thickened to your liking.
- Top the bowl with the flaxseed, cherries and almonds. Enjoy.
Serving Size makes 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.