During the summer, there’s not much that makes me happier than sitting outside with a glass of wine in my hand while the entire dinner cooks on the grill – this is a recipe that allow you to do just that.
Using a cedar plank to grill salmon has a few bonuses: It adds a distinctive smoky flavor, it’s an easier way to cook fragile salmon fillets on the grill, and it makes a great presentation on the table.
Grilling corn for the accompanying relish pulls everything together with the salmon, along with an Indian-inspired spice butter and cooling yogurt raita on the side.
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 1 serrano chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons tandoori spice mix *
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ pounds skin-on salmon filet
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped seedless cucumber
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak a cedar grilling plank in a shallow pan of water (a roasting pan works well) until saturated, at least 2 hours ahead of cooking.
- Prepare a charcoal grill for indirect grilling or heat a gas grill to medium high. Roast the corn on the grill until browned on all sides, turning every few minutes. Cool, then slice the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife. Combine the corn, chile, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Put the cedar plank on the grill rack and heat until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Mash together the spice mix and butter until blended. Lay the salmon on the cedar plank and season with salt and pepper. Smear the butter over the salmon and place the plank back on the grill. Cover the grill and cook 12 – 15 minutes, or until the salmon is translucent and begins to flake.
- Stir together the yogurt, cucumber and cilantro.
- Cut the salmon into 4 portions, but not through the skin. Slide each portion off the skin with a spatula. Serve the salmon with some corn relish and raita on the side.
* To make your own tandoori spice blend stir together ¼ teaspoon each ground cumin, turmeric, ginger, coriander, paprika and cayenne pepper.