Best Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce

Fluffy stack for Sunday morning

This recipe is without a doubt my tried-and-true favorite. I’ve made dozens of other pancakes over the years but they just don’t measure up to these big, puffed and tender cakes.

The only thing I’ve added to this perfect tangy ratio of butter, eggs, flour and buttermilk is a bit of wheat germ. It must be the mom in me, but somehow the extra fiber makes them seem more wholesome and less like a pile of carbs. Who am I kidding?

This time I made use of an overload of strawberries I had on hand to make a sweet sauce to pour over the stack instead of the usual maple syrup, which instantly transforms a favorite comfort food into a fresh and summery treat.

My kids ask me to make pancakes for breakfast every weekend, and I’ve been trained to mix them up in my sleep – which is what I’d rather be doing on most weekend mornings anyway.

Best Buttermilk Pancakes
adapted from The Joy of Cooking

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons wheat germ, raw or toasted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

2. Melt the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl on high power for 30 seconds. Stir in the buttermilk, eggs and extract until smooth.

3. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir just until the flour is incorporated.

4. Pour 1/4 cup scoops of batter onto a greased, heated griddle set over medium heat. Flip the pancakes when bubbles start to appear on top, after about 3 minutes. Cook the other side until golden brown.

5. Serve right away with warm, buttered maple syrup or strawberry sauce.

Strawberry Sauce
Makes 1 1/2 cups

1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.

Cool slightly; puree in a blender or food processor and serve over pancakes, yogurt or ice cream.

Save This Page on Del.icio.us

Copyright (c) 2007 FamilyStyle Food

Comments

1. Pinkeagle says:

Wow these look great :) I love pancakes. Have you tried the banana buttermilk ones from Nigella Lawsons book Feast? They’re to die for!!

2. You have made great pancakes! And I like the strawberry sauce, too…. :)

3. Pinkeagle, I adore Nigella, but I avoid bananas since they give me hives!

Ina Garten has another great recipe for pancakes in her Family Style cookbook – sour cream pancakes with bananas. They are my second favorite, without the bananas of course!

Anh, thanks! Strawberry sauce is a nice thing, especially since I have some left over to pour over my yogurt tomorrow.

4. SteamyKitchen says:

OMG you are killing me softly with your buttermilk pancakes…..

5. Abi Jones says:

Wow. I suddenly crave a stack of pancakes, though I know that I couldn’t possibly find any like those at this time of day. Yum.

6. those look wonderful. maybe we can have those next Sunday! with blueberries.

7. Jaden, pancakes can seem so decadent, right?

Abi, we’ve been known to make pancakes for dinner around here!

Liza, that sounds like a plan…I can taste the blueberries already.

8. Karen:

Thanks for the recipe; I am printing it off right now. I needed a good pancake recipe!

9. valentinA says:

oh dear, this photo truly is irresistible Karen!
    Love the pancakes & the strawberry sauce drizzled over makes it even more yummier!

10. Patricia Scarpin says:

These pancakes look wonderful, Karen! OMG!

11. Janelle – Now your kids will be rousing you on Sunday mornings. Get ready!

Valentina – I’m never sure of my camera skills, so thank you. And right after I took the picture, my son dove right in.

Patricia – Thanks! It’s always good to make you hungry.

12. Dani Spies says:

Wow..you’re not kidding when you say fluffy…these look YUMMY!! Great picture too!

13. Just fantastic. Your a talented girl. Pancakes are truly family style food!

14. Heavens! Those look scrumptious, and I’m not even a big lover of pancakes! I’d like to eat that whole plateful, though. Beautiful.

15. Tom in Boston says:

Hi–I made these Sat. a.m. and they were great. Thanks for the recipe. I usually make these cakes without baking powder, sugar or vanilla, so these were sweeter than I’m used to; vive la difference! It was dessert on Saturday morning. Next time I would make smaller pancakes than I did.

16. I am seriously drooling over these! Mmmmmmm!

17. Dani, thanks. I’m working on a whole-grain version.

Squishy, simple is the best!

Lisa, I know. I’d rather eat a boiled egg!

Tom, I’m so glad you found a new way to enjoy pancakes. They are an indulgence, but once a week seems reasonable, don’t you think?

Kristen, thanks – pancakes have a way of doing that!

18. Karen: thanks for a GREAT recipe! I’m a veteran pancake maker (as just about every mom of small kids?) but this is the best buttermilk recipe I’ve ever tried. They were perfect: cooked thru (sometimes difficult w/ fluffy cakes), almost crispy on the outside if you oil the pan well, great flavor. I thought the strawberry sauce was simple, pure, delicious. I used frozen berries (whole, unsweetened) and it still turned out delicious!
    This is the first recipe I’ve tried from your blog…now you’ll have big shoes to fill…I’ll be back! Often! Thanks!

19. Just came across this very tempting recipe of yours and I have to say it looks amazing. I’m a huge pancake fan so this is going on my ‘to make’ list. Thanks for sharing.

20. I have about a cup and a half of buttermilk left after making my mom’s southern cornbread recipe. Was wondering what I was going to do with it. Now I know.

Trackbacks

1. […] treat the kids with their favorite breakfast food, like pancakes and waffles, but making the same buttermilk pancake recipe loaded with chocolate chips has worn a tread of […]